leslie jones ghostbusters sequel
photo: Columbia Pictures

Last week, Jason Reitman announced that he has a secret sequel to the original Ghostbusters films in the works that will be directly targeted at "fans." The reboot with an all-female cast — Kristen Wiig, Leslie Jones, Kate McKinnon, and Melissa McCarthy — just came out in 2016, but Reitman will be ignoring its timeline and returning to the original canon.

Jones, the Saturday Night Live comedian who co-starred in 2016's Ghostbusters, slammed the idea of Reitman's sequel, calling it "such a dick move." Now the internet is in an uproar.

Jason Reitman, Oscar-nominated director and son of Ivan Reitman, who directed the first two Ghostbusters films, just announced the new sequel last week.

Less than a day later, the film dropped its first teaser trailer.

Reitman's announcement was met with lots of excitement among many fans, with a bit of a side-eye from others.

"I’ve always thought of myself as the first Ghostbusters fan, when I was a 6-year-old visiting the set. I wanted to make a movie for all the other fans," Reitman told EW. "This is the next chapter in the original franchise. It is not a reboot. What happened in the ‘80s happened in the ‘80s, and this is set in the present day."

According to EW, the film will start shooting in a few months, but it's too soon to reveal the plot of the screenplay, the characters, or whether any of the original actors will return.

Although it seems Dan Aykroyd is definitely on board.

Jones, who starred in the 2016 remake with an all-female cast, was not a fan of Reitman ignoring the story line she and costars Kate McKinnon, Kristen Wiig, and Melissa McCarthy portrayed.

She called it "something Trump would do" and a "dick move."

Ignoring Paul Feig’s 2016 film is kind of a slap in the face and makes it seem like it wasn't taken seriously in the franchise. We get that Jones' feelings are hurt.

photo: Columbia Pictures

On the other hand, Reitman probably had no underlying motives; he probably just wanted to pick up where his father left off in the '80s.

Regardless, Ghostbros (bros who are obsessed with Ghostbusters, obviously) were very insulted by Jones' remarks.

They immediately started attacking her on Twitter.

Some critics said this sequel is what real fans of Ghostbusters "actually want."

Then, of course, rather than leaving it at that, they also felt the need to bash the 2016 version. This user called it an "all female shitfest." Oh.

Some even claimed that you had no soul if you laughed at the 2016 version.

Seriously, I cannot make this stuff up. And sadly, this isn't the first time Jones has dealt with hateful attacks from Ghostbusters fans.

Back when the reboot was announced in 2016, Jones endured racist attacks due to her involvement in the film. It was terrible, and she ended up taking a hiatus from Twitter because of it.

"I leave Twitter tonight with tears and a very sad heart," she tweeted at the time. "All this ’cause I did a movie. You can hate the movie, but the s—t I got today… wrong."

Jones read all the rude comments and admitted she could've used "different words," but is allowed to have feelings about the new sequel. She explained that this will likely turn into another battle of the sexes, and it appears to already have.

"It's very sad that this is the response I get. When the point is if they make this new one with all men and it does well, which it will, it might feel that 'boys are better'," she wrote. "It makes my heart drop."

Ghostbusters is clearly a touchy subject. But it seems that Reitman means no harm. In the press release about his new film, he applauded the 2016 remake.

"I have so much respect for what Paul created with those brilliant actresses, and would love to see more stories from them," he told EW.

Here's a wild idea: You can watch them all and like them all!

This doesn't need to be war of the Ghostbusters. You're allowed to like more than one thing!

You can expect to see Ghostbusters 3 in theaters during the summer of 2020.

Let's just hope the arguments die down by then!

While the original stars Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, and Ernie Hudson made cameos in the 2016 spinoff, it is unknown whether they will return for the newest sequel. Harold Ramis died in 2014 and was also honored in Feig’s remake.

photo: Columbia Pictures

BTW, Reitman has not yet responded to Jones' criticism.