If there is one thing ALL makeup-lovers should do, it's wash their brushes.

Katie Wright, a 21-year-old from Texas, skipped that step — and almost died from it. 

She shared her horrifying story in a post that has gone viral on Facebook.

After picking at what she thought was a pimple, a large bump began to take over Wright's face. Within an hour, her face swelled to massive proportions — these pictures were taken just 48 hours apart.

Katie had developed cellulitis, a painful bacterial infection which affects the skin's surface and can be fatal. Super scary. "It felt like something was going to burst out of my skin," she said.

Katie shared her story to make sure other makeup-lovers don't make this same mistake. After her post was shared on popular beauty page Makeup Heavens, her cautionary tale went viral.

"Since [the infection] was on my face, there was a huge risk of it spreading to my brain or my eyes, causing me to go blind," she wrote. "Scary shit!"

"This most likely happened from bacteria getting on my eyebrow pencil brush," she wrote. "I'm super strict on washing my face/beauty blender/brushes, but I never, ever thought to disinfect my eyebrow spooly."

"PLEASE make that a step in your cleaning routine!" she said. "It's a small thing to do to avoid a painful, expensive, and traumatizing infection on your face."

Since the incident, Katie is recovering — but has been left with a serious hospital bill.

She started a Gofundme page to help with the costs of the medical treatment that saved her life — check it out.

Let this be a reminder to all of us that clean brushes and tools are ESSENTIAL.

 It doesn't just ensure good makeup application. It could save your life.