A routine Minnesota traffic stop left one Black man dead after a police officer opened fire in his vehicle. Less than 24 hours after two Baton Rouge, Louisiana officers killed Alton Sterling, a Minnesota police officer fatally shot Philando Castile, a 32-year-old motorist, in Falcon Heights, a city close to Minneapolis.

Castile died at Hennepin County Medical Center around 11 pm, according to his mother, Valerie Castile. She told CBS Minnesota that the officer shot him while he sat in a car with his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, and their 4-year-old daughter.

Reynolds streamed the aftermath of the shooting on Facebook's "live" feature.

She broadcast Castile's shooting to over 2.1 million viewers. In the video, Reynolds said the officer shot her boyfriend four times, after he told him that he has a carry-and-conceal permit as well as a firearm in the car.

"He let the officer know that he had a firearm and he was reaching for his wallet and the officer just shot him in his arm," she said in the graphic video.

In the video, the officer yells, "I told him not to reach for it! I told him to get his hand out …"

The video, embedded here with a trigger warning for death and police violence, also shows Reynolds being asked to leave the vehicle by officers arriving on the scene.

"Oh my God, please don't tell me he's dead. Please don't tell me my boyfriend just went like that," Reynolds said while panning the camera over Castile's body.

When she got out of the car, officers had their gun drawn, according to CBS Minnesota.

The St. Anthony police department confirmed that a police officer killed Castile in a July 6 press conference.

Sergeant Jon Mangseth, the St. Anthony Police Department's interim chief, told USA Today that the officer who killed Castile has been on the force for five years.

The officer has been placed on administrative leave as the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension investigates the shooting, according to CBS Minnesota. Yet, Mangseth told CBS Minnesota that this is the first police-involved shooting in Falcon Heights in 30 years.

"[We haven't had an] officer-involved shooting in, you know, 30 years or more. I’d have to go back in the history books, to tell you the truth," he said.

While that may be true, there have been recent police-involved shootings in Minnesota that made national headlines.

This past November, the Minneapolis Police Department came under fire after an officer fatally shot 24-year-old Jamar Clark.

The case drew national outrage after Hennepin County attorney, Mike Freeman, declined to prosecute Dustin Schwarze and Mark Ringgenberg, the two officers responsible for the shooting. The Department of Justice didn't bring federal charges in that case either.

After the shooting, Minnesota governor Mark Dayton mandated that all police officers wear body cameras. That law went into effect in May, though it's unclear if the police officers who killed Castile were wearing cameras.

Outrage is rampant after Castile's death. Over 200 protestors converged at the governor's mansion in Minnesota to vocalize their frustration.

Castile's name has trended for hours on social media. Many activists are calling for justice, which has eluded many police shooting victims, including Eric Garner, Tamir Rice, and Oscar Grant.

Prominent activist Deray McKesson told The Washington Post that Castile should still be alive.

"Philando Castile should be alive today," he said. "I don't know what else to say. He should be alive today. He is not alive because a police officer murdered him in cold blood."

Some are asking the National Rifle Association to speak up for Castile, since the organization champions open-carry laws.

While activists converge on Minnesota to demand justice, Castile's family is now mourning him. Castile, who worked as a cafeteria supervisor at a school in St. Paul, Minnesota, would've turned 33 July 8.

Valerie Castile told CNN in a live interview that the police haven't allowed her to identify her son's body because he's a victim of "a silent war against African-American people." His sister, Allysza Castile echoed her mother's sentiments in an interview with The Washington Post.

"He's gone," the 23-year-old said. "They won't let us see him. We've been here probably an hour, the whole family is here, and they won't let us see him."

They'll have to wait until after an autopsy to see him, according to ABC News. However, Valerie also thanked Reynolds for streaming the video on Facebook. "I appreciate her streaming that video like she did, because otherwise we would never have known what happened," she told CNN.

Other family members have also begun speaking out about Castile's death. His uncle told KARE-TV that Castile was "an upstanding man." 

Clarence Castile, Philando's unce, told CNN that the video is "the most horrific thing I've ever seen in my life."

"We all know my nephew was a good kid and we want justice as well as relief," he said. Clarence also chided the officer for shooting his nephew, instead of protecting him.

"He's not an officer," Castile told CNN. "He's just a man. An officer is supposed to protect and serve. That was a man who did that. That man is a destroyer and he came into our lives and done something and took something from us."

Philando Castile is the 561 person killed by the police in 2016. He is the 16 person this month.

July 7, 2016, 12:57 pm: This post has been updated to reflect the correct name of Castille's girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds.